What was that again?

Sunday, September 24, 2006

A shameless plug... forgive me

"Maybe I don't really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly
Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I just want to fly
I want to live I don't want to die
Maybe I just want to breath
Maybe I just don't believe
Maybe you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever

Maybe I don't really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly
Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I will never be
All the things that I want to be
But now is not the time to cry
Now's the time to find out why
I think you're the same as me
We see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever
We're gonna live forever
Gonna live forever
Live forever
Forever"


This is a shameless plug. I said it. There.

It took me almost no time at all to figure out why people blog. We need to be heard. We want our views to be read, sometimes analyzed by other people. People who may not share the same opinion as you. People who may agree with everything you say (spineless twits!). People who haven’t got a clue what they’re reading, but do so nonetheless, because they haven’t got anything better to do (that’s my category there).

Anyway, I watched a DVD today. I don’t do this very often, mainly because I don’t have the time (that’s supposed to make you think I’m really busy, by the way). This DVD was a commemorative edition released to coincide with the 10-year anniversary of probably one of the greatest albums of all time. Those of you who know me have probably guessed what I’m on about by now.

Definitely Maybe.

Oasis are a band from Manchester. They make proper music. And they’re my favourite band. Now, my loyal readers (all 10 of you) are aware of this, I’m sure. I go on and on and on about them, because, at the end of the day, the music they make means a lot to me. Many of you may not have favourite bands. Well, if you don’t, pick Oasis, and listen to Definitely Maybe. Even if its just for one song. All the songs are pretty good, which is rare for any album, but there’s one track which stands out. Live Forever.

The first time I heard this song, I didn’t much of it, mainly because someone had told me it was pretty good, and I figured I should give it a casual listen. The guitar solo stood out, of course, but nothing made any sense. And then I figured out the lyrics, and listened to it again. And again. And again. This song compares, quite easily, with the likes of Imagine by John Lennon, in terms of its lyrical content. Noel Gallagher (the songwriter/lead guitarist) said recently that he wanted to write a song that could be mentioned in the same breath as Imagine. What he didn’t realize was, he’s already done it. And probably written something far, far better than Imagine ever was or could be.

Right now I’m thinking, Why am I writing all this? Do I have a pathological need to make people love Oasis as much as I do? Not really, but I figure if you’ve come across something that you think is good, you share it with as many people as possible. Which is what I’m doing.

The 16-bar drum intro to the song is fairly well-orchestrated, but you don’t have an inkling as to what’s next. And then you hear the first lines:

“Maybe, I don’t really want to know,

how your garden grows, cos I just want to fly”.

It just takes off from there. The drums and bass complement the lead guitar perfectly throughout the song, and at the risk of repeating myself, the solo is phenomenal. Short, but brilliant.

Noel says the song is about friendship, and I figure he’d be quite right there. I figure it’s also about ambition, and about wanting to be the best you can possibly be. Although these lyrics shatter that little theory of mine:

“Maybe I will never be, all the things that I want to be

Now is not the time to cry, Now’s the time to find out why”

Philosophical. Especially coming from the fingertips of an 18-year old who’s never been out of the dark half of Manchester, but wants to take on the world. (He did, by the way. Haven’t you heard “Wonderwall”?)

If you haven’t heard the song yet, GET it, for God’s sake. And listen to it.

On an unrelated note, the last few days have been fairly difficult. Work has sucked. The personal stuff has sucked. Liverpool won, though, so that’s a bit of a consolation. And I still have my music.

A few engineers joined my company recently. A couple of them, both girls, have been posted in the Systems Department, and they sit together. I call them the Davinci Twins, because one of them is named Mary, and the other’s Magdalene. Coincidence? I haven’t got a bloody clue.

The End. For now.

Some of you may be wondering what the hell I was on about there… well, the fact is, I’m nursing a massive hangover, and trying to do some work (“On a Sunday?”, you exclaim. “Yep”, I say). When I get home I’ll get online and post this. Listen to the song. Many of you may not like it, but those of you who do will be thanking me for the rest of your lives.

And now for something completely different. You’re not going to read it, though.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/27/2006 3:03 AM, Blogger Karen Xavier said…

    I liked Wonderwall (I use 'liked' cause I used to listen to it long back) its a nice enough song. The Da Vinci twins bit was funny...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home